Re: Recycle Bin not enough, Microsoft adds "Previous Versions" support on the file system level

  • Subject: Re: Recycle Bin not enough, Microsoft adds "Previous Versions" support on the file system level
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:52:36 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:VoXqe7hMb5aeVdIyRica34W4Mpc=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Jim ] on Monday 31 July 2006 12:32 \__
>
>> Tim Smith wrote:

>>> If Linux had this feature and Windows didn't, I bet you'd be posting how
>>> it is a Linux advantage.
>>>
>> TBH, I can't see the advantage. Maybe I'm just being blonde. I gotta ask
>> though, how many times does one need to tell the file manager that he
>> doesn't need the file anymore, that he needs the space for something else
>> (think: digital video/DVD images, which takes a LOT of space)?
>> I only want to tell it ONCE.
>> SHIFT+DELETE (which on my Dell C840 is pretty hard to do by accident) gives
>> me my space back. IFAICT, this new feature in Vista doesn't, in fact it
>> uses /more/ space than the file itself to store it, hidden away somewhere.
>> Not a good situation if you're doing video work on the road and you only
>> have a hundred Gig drive.
>
> Linux can achieve all of this /upon demand/. It just doesn't
> do  this  by  default;  I  am not  sure  it  can  present  a
> simplified  UI,  either  (albeit a day or two  with  GTK  or
> Trolltech  Qt Designer can 'fix' that). I thought about this

So, like any SW : it can be done? But Linux does do all this too through
trash cans, Synaptec installed backup managers. All configurable of course.

> feature  while  walking down the street. To be  honest  with
> you,  that demo which shows a picture of a flower with  some
> transitions  (that  which you see in various articles  about
> this new feature)... I just can't see how it becomes useful.
> My  mother,  for example, will only ratate an  image  90/270
> degrees.  That's  the most she would do. No manipulation  of
> any  kind. So why revert to old(er) versions? For text  it's

This might surprise you, but your mothers "rotation needs" dont
generally guide leading edge OS & GUI desogn decisions.

> rather  impractical  for reasons I mentioned in  an  earlier
> post on the subject.

I fail to see how (if disk space is an issue), action rollback can ever
be a liability or impractical.

> The idea is neat in theory. What's to gain? To most of us --
> nothing.  What's to lose: privacy; disk space;  performance;

How so privacy? Did I miss something? Its not saving your private info
on MS servers is it? Performance? Nope. There tends to be a lot of spare
cpu and disk suage spare when we're typing documents.

> complexity.  Vista remains "too little too late"^tm.  People

Complexity is gained not lost.

> could  find  better  uses  for  a  rational   database-based
> fileystem,  which  Linux  has already got (as  well  as  the
> semantic  one),  unlike  Windows  Vista.  Beagle  and  other
> similar tools complement this further.

database file system are all well and good in theory : wasnt Vista
supposed to feature one and decided that it wasnt viable for real time
file access?