Re: DFS throwing cola bozos a bone

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 31 July 2006 14:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 31 July 2006 08:31 \__
>>
>>> I read an article in the newspaper recently about the great
>>> improvements in voice recognition softwware for Windows, the bad demo
>>> notwithstanding.   Somewhat later I saw another article (probably on
>>> cola) about great improvements in the same for Linux (free version).  I
>>> don't know how the two compare, however.  Sorry I don't remember
>>> details.
>>

>> Linux has some new speech recognition server. Being commercial, it should
>> be far better than all the smaller projects.
>
> Not sure that I really subscribe to that assumption...
>

>>                 http://linux.sys-con.com/read/249714.htm
>> <snip />

Hadron  argues  that  it re-uses IBM's famous work  in  that
domain.  I can recall these tools from IBM going back to the
days when I was 14 or 15. A friend of mine had this program,
which  occupied around 100 MB of disk space (quite steep  at
the  time) and it requires _a lot_ of training. My cousin in
Florida   has  been  running  Dragon  NaturallySpeaking  for
several  years,  but  he seems to only use it  as  computing
vanity  (i.e. when visitors arrive) rather than to get  some
actual  work done, which dependent upon Dragon. And he's not
that  quick when it comes to typing, which pretty much tells
you  that  this  technology has a  narrow/inexistent  market
(people  remain  curious nonetheless)... maybe a  difference
can  come  from  miniature  mobile devices  --  those  whose
resources  are  not  enough  to make  proper  decisions  and
interpret  voice correctly. Give it another decade  maybe...
assuming  foldable keyboards don't see some other  contender
emerge. 3-4 years ago I had this silly idea about a PDA that
binds  itself to the wrist, so that you can input data  with
just  a single hand (freeing the other for, e.g. umbrella or
giving  the  finger to some troll on the other side  of  the
street).

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
roy      pts/9                         Mon Jul 31 14:38   still logged in