Re: [News] Linux Brings Parallel Computing to Mainstream

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Brings Parallel Computing to Mainstream
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:05:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:31:57 +0000, yttrx wrote:

> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Flooding an advocacy group with rss feeds is not advocacy, and youre
>>> a dickhead.
>>>

>> So, you think just because *you* say it, it's automatically got to be
>> true? Sorry, doesn't work like that.
>>

> How long have you been posting on usenet, kiddo?

First off, I'm, just as likely to be older than you, so knock off the
kiddo bit.

> I know what an advocacy group is, and just because Roy tickles your
> "be-nice-to-him-hes-retarded" nerve doesn't mean what he's doing is
> right.

More people in COLA seem to be happy to have the News than not. I am
relatively neutral about it, actually. You can call Roy retarded all you
want, that won't actually make him like that.

> Here's an example of some advocacy, from me, that I've just come up
> with based on my experiences over the last twenty minutes, just as
> an example:
>
> So I realized with a sudden start that I wasn't using both cores of
> my dual core processor on this new Ubuntu install, and I of course
> wanted to remedy that.  Nightmarish images flashed through my mind of
> a thousand linux kernel recompiles, make menuconfigs, all kinds of
> awfulness.  Then I thought about all the drivers that would break, and
> it became a rather tough decision whether to try to tackle it at
> that moment instead of waiting until I'd had a bit of a snack and some
> coffee, because who knows, sometimes this kind of breakage can take
> a couple of hours to fix.
>
> So I decided to see what Synaptic had in the way of smp kernels.  I
> found my kernel version and its smp version above it.  I clicked
> on the smp version and it automatically chose to update the headers
> that I'd already installed.  Kinda sweet.
>
> I hit "apply" and held my breath through the 60 second download and
> install and subsequent reboot.
>
> The machine came back up fine.  The nvidia driver was intact, and
> the only thing I had to do was recompile my oss driver against the
> new headers, which it actually does all by itself when you start
> it up.  I'm now enjoying both cores--and all it took was a few mouse
> clicks, 90 seconds of waiting (including the reboot) and a quick
> automated sound driver rebuild.
>
> Now THATS a nice distribution.

Certainly is. I've only got Ubuntu on an old laptop of mine, which is a
bit of a crock, but it's very nice. I may end up installing it to this
machine also at some point in the near future. At the same time I'm
tempted to install SUSE or the latest Fedora instead.

Right now I have Mandriva 2005 on it, and it's all set up nicely so that I
haven't really considered upgrading to 2006. Mandriva's been going through
a rocky patch lately, and I've thought about jumping ship and leaving it
behind, but it is so much simpler to get working well than some of the
more open distros - easyurpmi makes installing most of the awkward stuff a
doddle - so I've been reluctant to abandon what has been for me a steady
distro

But that's one of the great beauties of Linux, the choice one has.

--
Kier