Re: [News] Beijing to Migrate 50,000 Desktops from Windows to GNU/Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Friday 28 July 2006 12:47 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper on Friday

> http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=7363757F%2DF338%2D455F%2DA048%2DAFC63DBA0B03

>>> What  actually  hit me is this: government desktops?  China?
>>> Expect the Chinese to embrace OpenDocument Format very, very
>>> soon.  And that's the largest population in the world. India
>>> has already shown its affinity for ODF.
>>
>> Figuring China has 1.2 billion people and say, 1% is Government, then
>> 12,000,000 people are Government.  50,000 is a drop in the bucket, not
>> including already deployed systems.  I bet things accelerate quickly.
>
> A lot of China is rural, I suspect. Additionally, the number
> of  machine  per  person/employee is  probably  rather  low.
> Beijing  is among the more developed and influential  areas.
> This  large  deployment will also beg for  interoperability,
> which  is  best off achieved through migration to  something
> /free/ and independent from 'Those Democrats in the West'.

China is also a command-economy - everyone works for the government,
pretty much.  Of the 1.2E09 people, let's say 6E08 are eligible for
work, and let's say that 10% of them have desk jobs, which would lead to
a potential 6E07 possible desktops... hmmm, scary..

Hollywood is where if you don't have happiness you send out for it.
		-- Rex Reed