Re: Linux-based Scpl phones to replace Motorola Razr line

  • Subject: Re: Linux-based Scpl phones to replace Motorola Razr line
  • From: Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:49:29 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cb6ec5970584709d

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/339c53ce25768fff

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/f9b1c386bd1a6628

>>>     As I mentioned in another thread, I have mixed feelings about Roy's
>>>     news
>>> postings, but felt that they did more good than harm. However, I don't
>>> think much good will come out of having every story posted twice, and
>>> the ensuring conversation fragmented between those two posts.
>>>

>> Roy and myself post independently and I don't care to check to see if the
>> subject matter has already been covered by Roy. However, all your
>> concerns seem rather petty and inconsequential with no real support from
>> other posters that may share your opinion.
>
>     I don't know about COLA, but on every other newsgroup I've been at, if
> you post on a topic that's already been address, you're likely to be told
> that the topic has already been covered, and that you should have read the
> archives.
>
>     E.g. on comp.lang.java.help and comp.lang.java.programmer, we
>     frequently
> get posts of the form "How do I start learning Java?" We see a post like
> this maybe once every two days on average. Some replies tell the OP to
> check the archives, others tell them to check the FAQ.
>
>     Again, I don't know about COLA, but it seems everywhere else,
>     "duplicate
> posts" are not well accepted.
>
>     Secondly, in one of the comp.lang.java.* newsgroups, we had a
>     discussion

And here's where you need to discern between newsgroups: comp.lang.java.*,
like comp.*.networking or comp.*.*.shell, have a different purpose than
COLA. That should have been evident to you.

COLA is and advocacy group that seeks to promote OSS and Linux, not offer
technical help.

> about what constitutes a spammer. For example, is someone who posts
> helpful replies to questions, along with referal links to Amazon.com to
> earn some money, a spammer? On the other hand, he's making money, on the
> other, he's helping out people "for free". Eventually, it the consensus
> (as far as a consensus *CAN* be reached on USENET) seemed to be that if
> the person made several regular posts to the newsgroup, but didn't bother
> to read the replies, then that person is a spammer.

And Roy does not fit your description of a spammer.

>     This is one reason I had mixed feelings about Roy's [News] posts, as
>     it
> was bordering on spam (IMHO), but it appears that Roy does actually read
> most (if not all) of the replies to his posts.

Wether Roy reads his own posts or not is of no consequence to the group and
none of your concern. It is my opinion that his posts DO NOT come close to
being classified as spam.

>     One of the nice things about these posts, someone commented, was that
>     it
> raises the signal to noise ratio. However, if we start getting two copies
> of every [News] post, I think we're actually lowering the signal to noise
> ratio again.

Agreed.

>     I'm not asking you to stop posting this kind of stuff; I'm just asking
> you to check if it hadn't been posted already. And if a similar topic HAS
> been posted already, but you have a link to a different article, then by
> all means, post it... but as a REPLY, instead of as the root of a new
> thread.
>
>     If you're not willing to do that, how about as a compromise, you at
> least tag your news posts so that they could easily be filtered by those
> who do not wish to see them?
>
>     - Oliver

No, Oliver, I am not changing my posting habits in any shape or form. I am
perfectly content the way things are; if there is a greater concensus among
other, well respected individuals, I may consider it.

You are always welcome to use your killfile or filter out posters that do
not suit your taste... and then, please, stop complaining.