Re: [News] BBC: Over 96% of E-mail is SPAM

On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:29 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 17:24 \__
>
>> On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:55 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 16:50 \__

>>> USA is number 1.... for SPAM export. It's actually one of my .sig's.
>>>
>>> There's a misleading aspect to this statement though... a snag if you
>>> like. While it might be true that most spammers (or most prolific
>>> spammers) are in the States, the figures only account for machines that
>>> are hijacked by spammers, not the spammers themselves. They could use
>>> America as a zombie nation but live elsewhere.
>>
>> True.  However, it could also be true that American spammers use the
>> machines of other nations?  I don't see why you prefer one scenario over
>> the other?
>
> You  argue that there's a point of balance here... a sort of
> global  equilibrium where one takes machines from the  pool,
> at  random. If that were the case, come to consider how many
> among  the world's machines are located in the States.  It's
> only  natural  to assume that a lot of SPAM  will  originate
> from  there, assuming worldwide O/S monoculture. A SPAM  per
> capita  (where capita is a machine, or one inhibitant) would
> be  a  more  meaningful thing for this  survey.  They  could
> normalise  all  the figures by population size.  Whilst  you
> could  easily  do this by looking at Wikipedia, finding  out
> how  many  machines  have  not  yet  retired  and  are  also
> connected is hard. And then you need to normalise by on-line
> time,  bandwidth,  etc.  It  makes  it  a   high-dimensional
> problem,  assuming you seek meaningful statistics from which
> to conclude country X is most spam(mer)-friendly.

Well, yes, I hear what you say.....
However, to give them their due, the American authorities have been clamping
down?
Therefore, one might expect that American spammers are "driven abroad" -
compelled more to use foreign machines?
Do we have any figures for "internet-connected machines" by country?
Also, I'm not too sure about this bandwidth theory.  I get the impression
than Korea and Japan has more "bandwidth per capita" - at least on the
basis of home users and small businesses - than (even) the U.S.