Re: Is SLED 10 the alternative?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ houghi ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:46 \__

Robert Vriens wrote:

Browsing thru the various messages on this forum and afterwards
installing SLED 10 i was wondering if it is the answer to our friends at
Redmond?

Any idea?

No, because everybody has different expectations. e.g. for me it isn't a distribution I would use.

Also: no, because the answer to our 'friend' at Redmond has been here for
many years. It just needs recognition from the public (awareness).

I'm quite aware of Novell's offer. Either you keep content with whatever trash Novell puts on the net, cf.:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/msg/80f1a09aaac5fcf3?hl=en

a message you never answered

OR

you pay 50% / year for SLED upgrades, which is completely ludicrous given the little work Novell puts in compared to the work of all the developers who work for free to provide the software.

Fortunately, Novell has many partners (distribution channels)

Oh, Hovsepian speak, now! Partners are from the foregone Netware era when customers expected to pay almost as much for software as for hardware. What they need now is a solid OS for their lan installed by a consultant and, then, press the apt-get button every day. New hardware? Call back the consultant. Need some kind of special purpose software? Ask a programmer to hack it. Put it on the net, if it's of any use to anybody, it will come back full featured a year or two later.

This consultant may be one of those so-called partners but, if Novell's margins are as high as in the good old times, companies will move to private consultants installing Debian.

Novell is walking a thin line and, at the present time, it is not behaving.

 and a brand
name people trust.

Yes, people remember the good old times and building a name is quite an undertaking. Unfortunately, trashing a name can be done darned fast. IMO, that's what Novell is up to now by not releasing a corrected version of OpenSuse 10.1 .

Novell's problen is that it didn't begin lean and mean as Red Hat did. When they think small, they're still thinking way too big. And even Red Hat is thinking too big!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RHAT&t=3m&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Linux and open source is all about having the job done perfectly. But all marketing pretense is way too costly.