Re: Linux User Experience Has Improved

It was on Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:51:41 +0100, that B Gruff wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 08:20 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> At  the  moment, I have SuSE 8.1 (circa 2002) running  on  a
>> Dell,  which  I  must admit is Linux-friendly. I  tried  two
>> separate  Dell  models with Ubuntu and SuSE  and  everything
>> worked  just fine 'out of the box'. I'd raise two thumbs for
>> Dell if it were not for all the "Dell recommends Windows XP"
>> malarkey,  which  is  of course something  from  Microsoft's
>> books.  Also  see the recent article from NewsForge  on  the
>> state of OEM's and O/Sen in North America.
>
> Yep, but also note that Dell U.K. are advertising Linux with quite high-end
> stuff in the U.K.
> By that, I mean that it's in the list of OS options on their site.
> I think that price-wise it's "ring us", which leads me to wonder if they are
> stuck in some way to *not* show the actual cost of Windows, if you see what
> I mean?

According to LinuxFormat, Dell say that 25% of their enterprise sales are
now linux based. 9 out of 10 RedHat support calls are resolved in-house.
They are also working through the validation process with
Novell to become a SuSE Linux first-tier support partner.

--
98% of linux problems that *windows* users whine about,
emanate from somewhere between the chair and the PC.