Re: Linux User Experience Has Improved

__/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 18:30 \__

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:00:35 +0100,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:51 \__

>>> Yep, but also note that Dell U.K. are advertising Linux with quite
>>> high-end stuff in the U.K.
>>> By that, I mean that it's in the list of OS options on their site.
>>> I think that price-wise it's "ring us", which leads me to wonder if they
>>> are stuck in some way to *not* show the actual cost of Windows, if you
>>> see what I mean?
>>
>> I grabbed the following before Easter...
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg
>>
>> I  believe the price was the same as that of Windows XP, but
>> I cannot remember for sure. Bear in mind that Red Hat's RHEL
>> is a commercial edition.
>>
>> Dell  is  making  progress. HP is  making  quicker  progress
>> (laptops  are SLED approved, soon to be preloaded with  SLED
>> 10  on an custom order basis). IBM is a true ally and  there
>> are  hundreds  of shops out there that offer  machines  with
>> Linux pre-installed.
>>

> Saw a newsbit today, HP says that 20% of their laptops sold in India
> were sold with Linux preinstalled.

I read that a day or two ago. The context was a NewsForge article which
speaks of consistent pre-installation of Windows by OEM's in North America.
I must admit that this newsbit is likely to encourage HP to extend their
distribution of Linux and have it reach more regions world-wide. Their
principal manager recently said that HP is looking at the market and waits
to expand Linux beyond France, South Africa, Asia, and South America
(notably Brasil). Here are some items from the past month:

Apart from that, just looking at the
past month of two, let me add to the praises by pulling a few links.

HP Has Got Novell's Back

,----[ Quote ]
| It's this support that HP is touting. It has 6,500 personnel dedicated
| to Linux support, who also use it as part of their daily jobs.

HP, Blueloop And Omni Demonstrate How Upto 10 Users Can Share A Single
Linux Desktop Computer

                http://in.sys-con.com/read/247419.htm

HP To Certify Suse Linux For Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Lance Stevens, software product marketing manager for business PCs at
| HP, said he expects that HP would eventually preload SLED 10 on desktops
| on a custom-order basis.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190301147&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

HP To Support Novell Desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans call for HP to certify SLED 10 for select desktops--including
| the nx6310, nx6320, nc6320, nc2400, nx6315 and nx6325 models--before
| the year's end, the spokeswoman said in response to questions from CRN.
`----

http://www.channelweb.com/sections/allnews/article.jhtml?articleId=189500832&cid=ChannelWebNews

HP Teams with Availigent on Linux

                        http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/237070.htm

HP's Switzerland Strategy: Playing in Unix, Linux and Windows Markets

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/b7hsCMALGZ2L15/HPs-Switzerland-Strategy-Playing-in-Unix-Linux-and-Windows-Markets.xh