Re: google finally fracked up

__/ [ Paul ] on Friday 02 June 2006 21:33 \__

> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 18:38:54 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Paul ] on Friday 02 June 2006 17:55 \__

> [..]
>
>>> You mean the canonical issue ?
>>> I never had a problem with that either
>>>
>>> Nor do I use google sites maps (another theory afaicr that was banded
>>> about)
>>

>>These were speculations that I preferred to ignore.
>
> Same here. Also, I was never was one to jump on the latest gimmick.

I am yet to hear about a Google Sitemaps success story. So far, reports have
been moderate.

>>Fixing or changing would have been a PITA, time wise. If it's not broken
>>(site has always done well), why try to fix it? Unless, of course, there
>>were definite answers making the rounds.

>>> it is a good example (for me) to check the other DCs
>
>>Yes, I use that tool.
>
> Could be better if you could run another query on the results page
> rather than using the back button.
>
> An offline edition where it saved results would be perfect ;)
>
> [..]

Have a look at:

        http://tools.marketleap.com/siteindex/default.htm

Results are saved in-between sessions (for a given domain name) and then used
to form a nice saturation plot.

No multiple datacentres included though.

>>> I've been having some fun for the last few days. Whilst google is
>>> knackered and my hotlink filter is broken, I have been altering images
>>> on the site.
>>>
>>> One guy who advertises that he is a stud now has a gay man image as a
>>> background and a clairvoyant site now has a less desirable image on
>>> her site. I bet she didn't see that one coming. :)
>>

>>These circumstances can be amusing. After 2 weeks of no response from a
>>large forum's administrators (I E-mailed with a gentle, polite request), I
>>had his avatar swapped with a picture of a penis. Not a complimentary
>>picture, I must add. My logs later indicated that many visitors witnessed
>>the shameful display before he had this rectified (pun intended).
>
> I don't think I could get away with that with my hosting company, but
> go as near the mark as possible.

Well, that was back in December 2004 when I had little to lose. Besides, the
only link to that image was off-site HotLinking. I changed the filename that
was embedded in my site temporarily.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
  6:00am  up 36 days 12:32,  10 users,  load average: 2.16, 2.06, 1.68