Re: Google DC Update - Dmoz and Yahoo Slanted?

__/ [ Jay ] on Thursday 08 June 2006 16:13 \__

> There has been a slight update, not a major one, so I don't know if it
> would qualify as an algo change?

In the context of Google, I would not describe it as slight. It has been
really rough on many sites, without any justification. There was even an
error involves, which Google admitted it had suffered from for months.

> However it could be a pre-shock to a
> major algo change? My feeling was that Google would do a major algo
> change sometime in June and hopefully PR update as well but who knows.

I notice that you make no use of paragraphs, so I'll slice your post as I go
along. Based on what will you think this? PageRank update: yes. But a
summertime change? I have not heard about this. Maybe I have, actually. Not
sure....

> However what I have noticed with Google the past couple of months and
> even more so after this latest update is lots of Dmoz directory sites
> and also lots of Yahoo category directory sites being listed very high
> up then ever before. Has anybody else noticed that in their serp(s) or
> is this something only happening in my serp?

I haven't noticed this. Have you experimented? If so, what evidence do you
have? If this is true, it might be worth chasing the editors and moderators,
who are probably sipping rum somewhere in Jamaica rather than do their
volunteer duties (DMOZ->Google Directory, not Yahoo Directory).

> I hate when they give a
> boost to dmoz listings and yahoo category listings because both are
> almost impossible to get sites listed at. I don't even think yahoo
> accepts new category directory listings anymore so it's only the old
> sites that were there from before and Dmoz unless you're an editor or
> are a friend on an editor or just plain very lucky you can forget ever
> getting your sites listed with them. So I think it's really unfair of
> Google to give dmoz and yahoo sites that google boost edge they seem to
> me to be doing now and for the past 2 or 3 months. It should be a level
> playing field with equal opporatunity for everyone. It shouldn't be who
> you know but what you know that helps you in the google rankings. That's
> how I see it.

Search engines are businesses. Like any other business with investors, they
are motivated by own interests. Even the mantra was compromised recently, as
Google stated in reference to censorship in China. Google put more mature
sites in a position of advantage, which suggests they may be hypocrites.
Google did not emerge as a winner overnight...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:35pm  up 41 days 23:08,  10 users,  load average: 0.98, 1.01, 1.00