Re: [News] Windows Live Mail to Serve Ads Based on Content

http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Microsoft_EMail_Client_Gets_Ads/1149533952

> Similar to Google Mail however. Innovation!

Heck, there goes the only means of importing from one Outlook to another, by
importing it into Express first. Oh well I suppose it had to come
eventually.

As for the rest, MS are at least taking the right steps by using a third
party to check the code first.

Personally though I see a mail box as a private area, a place where we can
write and receive letters, part of our office but also part of our private
life. I wouldn't like the idea of making this an extension of what I see as
part of a web page rather than an email application. Advertising to do with
the content of our emails? From this simple fact we know that they are
scrutinizeing our emails, sent information about them out to the web and
bring back anything relavent. I can't see anyone volunteering for that,
except MS users obviously.

If Mother writes to me saying 'its chilly outside are you wearing a jumper?'
will I get pop up offering 'M&S polo kneck sweaters Â10-99'. If a friend
has written to me about 'I found this new bird working in the strip joint,
this is her picture', will I get three pop ups? 'Bird watching binoculars
from Dixons', 'B&Q Wallpaper Sale' and 'Extend your manhood the natural
way'. Or will I get 5. Suppose it depends on the girl.

No, I really don't like mixing the email box with active advertising, once
we give that privacy away then how could we safely use our email system for
anything private.

.