Re: Dell: Linux an Industry Standard

__/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Friday 09 June 2006 14:48 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 09 June 2006 13:14 \__

>> >  Gee, and billwg says it's so hard for an OEM to offer Linux...
>>
>> This could mark the beginning of a beautiful relationship. They already
>> exchange business with Google (selling Linux servers and bundling Google
>> software). They are liaising with two of the biggest threats to Microsoft,
>> according to Ballmer's most recent public appearance. There's no ambiguity
>> in this. HP are no exception, either. IBM, Unisys, Oracle... the list is
>> long... all are hyped up about Linux.
>
> Indeed, a good partnership - and a threat to Microsoft. It would be
> interesting to know what distribution(s) of Linux Dell
> supports/recommends. RHEL?

...RedHat on their desktops and Mandriva in France. They are said to be going
for a Linux laptop in France soon. Servers running Linux 'out of the box' is
a business that has gone for quite some time at Dell.

As for IBM, if I may add: when I attended a talk delivered by the Strategy VP
of theirs, he mentioned Linux many dozens of times. Not even once did he say
the word "Microsoft" or "Windows". They are not interested and neither are
the customers, long-term (strategically).

Microsoft hate IBM and it shows. They stealthily sponsor SCO's lawsuit
against IBM/Linux and they recently invested 0.5 billion dollars in fighting
IBM directly. Dumb move to compete with a company that employs over a
quarter of a million people, which Gates also said is the biggest threat to
Microsoft. Ballmer says SOA (Google) and Linux/OSS are the biggest threat,
but all are pretty much joined and aligned. It often seems that everyone
wants a bite out of Microsoft these days, and alliances are formed to attain
this goal.

Microsoft are headed towards a /relative/ depression. Their stock is down
again today and it flirts with $22.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  3:40pm  up 42 days 21:13,  12 users,  load average: 1.26, 1.41, 1.51