Re: Dell: Linux an Industry Standard

__/ [ Stephen Fairchild ] on Friday 09 June 2006 18:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Friday 09 June 2006 14:48 \__

>>> Indeed, a good partnership - and a threat to Microsoft. It would be
>>> interesting to know what distribution(s) of Linux Dell
>>> supports/recommends. RHEL?
>>
>> ...RedHat on their desktops and Mandriva in France. They are said to be
>> going for a Linux laptop in France soon. Servers running Linux 'out of the
>> box' is a business that has gone for quite some time at Dell.
>>
>> As for IBM, if I may add: when I attended a talk delivered by the Strategy
>> VP of theirs, he mentioned Linux many dozens of times. Not even once did
>> he say the word "Microsoft" or "Windows". They are not interested and
>> neither are the customers, long-term (strategically).
>>
>> Microsoft hate IBM and it shows. They stealthily sponsor SCO's lawsuit
>> against IBM/Linux and they recently invested 0.5 billion dollars in
>> fighting IBM directly. Dumb move to compete with a company that employs
>> over a quarter of a million people, which Gates also said is the biggest
>> threat to Microsoft. Ballmer says SOA (Google) and Linux/OSS are the
>> biggest threat, but all are pretty much joined and aligned. It often seems
>> that everyone wants a bite out of Microsoft these days, and alliances are
>> formed to attain this goal.
>>
>> Microsoft are headed towards a /relative/ depression. Their stock is down
>> again today and it flirts with $22.
>>
> According to www.nyse.com at the time of posting $22.01.  Red Hat are
> currently up.

It was toppled again at the end of the trading day yesterday. It's at the $21
level and the press releases adjacent to MSFT are not flattering.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
  4:25am  up 43 days  9:58,  10 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.93, 0.97