Re: [News] To Kind comp.os.linux.advocacy Readers

  • Subject: Re: [News] To Kind comp.os.linux.advocacy Readers
  • From: Tony Sivori <TonySivori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:59:27 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Be aware. The trolls in this group are conspiring against me,
> off-list(NG).
>
> * They first aimed for character assassination * Then came the FUD -
> intimidation
> * Failing all the above, they now say the items are spam
>
> Don't let the trolls ruin what the group has evolved to become. Please
> ignore their attempts to pull the tricks above, by ignoring.
>
> The description of this group goes somewhere along the lines of "the
> advantages of Linux compared to other platforms" (Google Groups, quoted
> from memory). Put differently, maybe negatively: "the disadvantages of
> platforms that are not Linux". Sometimes your enemy's weaknesses can be
> perceived as your strengths.

The Google description is not relevant. Nonetheless, you are correct that
your news items are perfectly on topic, and I do hope that you keep
posting.

Here is the charter and the entire original control message (from the
isc.org archive) that created comp.os.linux.advocacy (warning, word wrap
may mangle message headers):

>From tale@xxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Dec 19 10:34:41 1994
Control: newgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy Path: uunet!tale
From: tale@xxxxxxxxxxxx (David C Lawrence)
Subject: newgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sender: tale@xxxxxxxxxxxx (David C Lawrence)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:33:41 GMT

comp.os.linux.advocacy is a unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote
for creation by 1337:167 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 13 Dec
1994.

For your newsgroups file:
comp.os.linux.advocacy	Benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems.

The charter, culled from the call for votes:

 For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
 systems.

--
Tony Sivori