Re: Xgl/compiz is ready!

  • Subject: Re: Xgl/compiz is ready!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:35:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Stephen Fairchild ] on Saturday 10 June 2006 14:42 \__

> Malware Magnet wrote:
>

>> Aquila Deus wrote:
>>> I tried it again yesterday, from the the latest binaries there =>
>>> http://arch.os-zen.net/pkg/shadowhand/
>>>
>>> Xgl now works perfectly with other cpu-hungry games running on 2nd x
>>> server (switch back and desktop is still responsive!), and you can
>>> rotate desktop by moving mouse to the edges, and better effects and no
>>> more annoying bugs in the compiz-quinn!
>>>
>>> You will need gconf-editor to change all the settings, set
>>> /apps/compiz/plugins/trailfocus/screen0/options/maximum_trail_count to
>>> 2 for normal transparency, and see
>>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-455153-highlight-.html for xv
>>> performance tweaking.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>
>> I found an easy way to test xgl...
>> I downloaded the Kororaa live CD from:
>> http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203

Its inclusion of several binaries makes it sheer violation the GPL. I know
there are torrents that will keep it alive perpetually, but it comes to show
the importance of Open Source(-friendly) GPU's. There was a very long
discussion about it in COLA only days ago.

>> After testing it for a couple of days, I went ahead and installed it on
>> the hard drive.
>> This distro is built on Gentoo and works fairly well - just had to mind
>> the bugs discussed on the Kororaa Web page.

XGL is not /truly/ ready for 'prime time'. Even shadows and translucency can
have some quirks and affect stability. The important thing is that the
technology is there, in its productions phase. Bugs are being squashed and
all this next-generation X will continue to evolve. Ultimately, it should
mature to match the stability and predictability of same 'ol Xorg.

>> My only complaint is emerge complains constantly about dependencies and
>> masked files. Chaning the /etc/make.conf file and other recommended
>> settings doesn't seem to have any effect.
>>
>> Therefore, I had to decide if it was worth my time and effort to pursue
>> working on this or not. After having xgl running for a while, I find it
>> extremely difficult to give up!
>
> My advice would be to come back when it really is ready in say a years
> time. With any luck it will become a fully supported module of Xorg rather
> than a plaything.

I am not entirely sure, but doesn't Novell's release of their business server
in July include XGL support 'out of the box' (making it easier than 10.1,
OpenSUSE)? I mean, they did demonstrate this in their recent
presentations... somehow I doubt I'll see XGL adopted in actual businesses
where play is distraction.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
  5:25pm  up 43 days 22:58,  10 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.62, 0.70