Re: [News] Origami PC Fails, Microsoft to Try Again

  • Subject: Re: [News] Origami PC Fails, Microsoft to Try Again
  • From: Jamie Hart <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:26:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:29:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

I beg to differ. The reason why people choose a portable device is for
portability, enabling them to do _portable_ 'things'. When the initial
wah-wah over the 'PC everywhere' concept is over, they opt for things they
do _on the go_. People are unlikely to play games while walking in the
street and if they ever wish to do so, the devide must be small and light.
It doesn't need to assimilate to a laptop or be anywhere in between. The
Nokia 770 is big enough already and it has even got Gogole's attention and
support.

Does the Nokia have full handwriting recognition? Not just character
recognition? Does it have full continuous voice recognition so you can
dictate to it? These are the kinds of things people want in a mobile
device. They want to jot things down quickly, or they want to record.
Since the Nokia has no hard drive, that limits its usefulness as a
recording device as well.

I'm not at all sure that the general public wants full handwriting recognition or voice recognition in a device the size of an ultra-mobile PC.

I know they'd like both handwriting and speech recognition, but also know they'll accept less if the device will fit in a shirt pocket. The Psion 5 devices had a usable keyboard and a bigger screen, but Psion still lost out to the likes of Palm, whos offering was half the size with awkward data entry.

Personally, I use a Sony Clie and do a lot of reading on it, so presumably, I'd like a bigger screen. But I carry the Clie everywhere, I never carry a briefcase and rarely any other kind of bag, so an ultra-mobile PC would not suit my needs. I'll stick to my Clie, which is always there, but never in the way.