Re: Computer Security Showdown - Linux, Mac OS, and Windows

In article <0001HW.C0BCDC2D00031940F0407530@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Tim Murray <no-spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2006, roy.schestowitz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> > InfectMyPC.com Creates The Ultimate Operating System Face-Off Between
> > Linux, Microsoft Windows & Macintosh
> >
> > One PC will use Linux while the other will run Microsoft Windows. The
> > Macintosh will use OS10. The challenge will be blogged daily at
> > http://www.DiaryofDestruction.com where readers will be encouraged to
> > suggest  malware programs to install, as well as send in email viruses and
> > spam to try and disable each machine. All machines will be data wiped and
> > donated to a charity at the end of the experiment.
> >

> I really don't see what this will accomplish. The author is intentionally
> doing "bad behavior" by opening all e-mails and such, and since the majority
> (around 99.999%) of all malicious e-mails are targeted to Windows, well, it's
> just a matter of time. Even with an antivirus app, this then becomes a test
> of getting an e-mail or visiting a warez site that has payloads newer than
> his virus definitions.

He doesn't even have to open emails. There are enough hackers around
poking into systems on the net to find systems they can try to pwn.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com