Re: See *The COLA Gang* Spring Into Action!!

  • Subject: Re: See *The COLA Gang* Spring Into Action!!
  • From: flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:02:00 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:39:17 +0000, Edwards wrote:

> The "are you still beating your wife" argument?  That's the _best_ you
> can do?

Without any direct proof, nobody can argue any of the points.

> Once more, _criminal_ copyright infringement has a very specific
> definition, neither you nor Erik nor anyone else here has provided any
> evidence of it.  That's _independent_ of the question of whether Roy
> has or has not provided any defense against the allegations.

Of course it is.
My point is that Roy is using an image whose author requires permission to
use.
One of two things is happening here.

1. Erik claims he had correspondence with said author and at that time Roy
had not asked for permission to use the images.
If true, Roy now knows what he is doing is unethical and why he doesn't
remove the images I don't know?

Legally that would never stand up in court because the author has not
notified Roy with some form of cease and desist order to stop using the
images, or reach an agreement for compensation.
IOW you can look at it from the point that the author now knows as well
and by him not doing anything can be construed to mean he doesn't care.

2. Roy has in fact contacted the author, after Erik's op and got
permission to use the images.

Nobody here really knows.

>> Why doesn't Roy post the Email where the author of the works gave him
>> permission to use them?
>
> Irrelevant.  Again, the word _criminal_ is what I'm disputing, and is
> what has not been supported in _any_ way by you or Erik or anyone
> else.

I don't think I said it was criminal?
If I did, I take it back.

My point is that the behavior is unethical and that very few of the Linux
advocates will admit it but instead prefer to defend Roy which in and of
itself says a lot about their character as well.

>>> Ah, got some crap of your own to spew I see.  I couldn't find a draft
>>> of his thesis on his website, but perhaps you'd care to offer a
>>> detailed critique of, say,
>>>
>>> http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Papers/2006/ISBI_2006/Final/isbi_2006.pdf
>
>>> to pick one at random.  I don't see anything unoriginal in the above,
>>> do you?  _Details_ please.
>>
>> It's not my field
>
> Then keep your mouth shut.  Accusations of plagiarism, particularly in
> an academic (and especially scientific) setting, demand certain
> standards of proof.  If you can't meet them you very much need to keep
> quiet about the issue, wouldn't want to find yourself committing libel
> for example.

I didn't accuse him of anything.
I simply said the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Draw your own conclusions.

>>>  So let's get back to some objective discourse -- here's
>>> a question I've asked a lot here recently (since the announcement of
>>> MS Word 2007), but haven't gotten an answer to yet.  What's the macro
>>> language like?  Substantially similar to that of previous MS Word
>>> versions?  Something really different?  Why all the tight-lippedness?
>>
>> That is boring as all hell which is why you are getting no responses.
>
> So MS Word 2007 will be just as vulnerable to macro viruses as
> previous versions?  What a shame.

I have no idea, nor do I really give a hoot.
I use OO.

--
flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"