Re: Kojima: Playstati*nix 3 is the Best Option

  • Subject: Re: Kojima: Playstati*nix 3 is the Best Option
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Jun 2006 09:41:37 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <14410288.hS1k4HtooO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| Speaking in an interview with Japanese Ge-Maga, partly translated by
> >| IGN, Kojima, who has been a staunch supporter of PS3 since its unveiling
> >| in May 2005, compared the Sony console to a movie theatre - while Xbox
> >| 360 "is watching a DVD at home" and "Wii is a television
> >| program".
> > `----
>

> I guess he hasn't noticed that movie theatres aren't doing that well,
> whereas home DVD and television are doing great.  Probably not the best
> analogy he could have picked... :-)

I haven't been to the movie theater in many years but I certainly watch
a lot of movies at home. Let's see why...

1 - For the price of 2 movie tickets I can own the DVD.

2 - No need to drive to the theater, find a parking spot, deal with the
dozens of kids hanging out in front of the theater, etc, etc.

3 - I don't have to walk across sticky floors to find a less than
optimal seat with a bunch of people sitting several rows back making
noise.

4 - At home I can drink beer/wine/etc while I watch the movie and eat a
pizza or burger. At the theater I'm limited to $5 buckets of popcorn
and soda that tastes like syrup.

5 - At home I can 'pause' the movie when I want and can rewind to see a
particular scene again or if a character said something that wasn't
understood.

6 - My home theater system is more than capable. The audio has enough
power to literally rattle the doors and windows. The television, while
nowhere near the size of a move screen, is plenty large.

7 - The furniture in the family room is far more comfortable than the
movie theater seat. I can take my shoes off, put my feet up on the
table or even lay down.

Personally I'd much prefer a system that is like "watching a DVD at
home" over a movie theater.