Re: Text-based spreadsheets

  • Subject: Re: Text-based spreadsheets
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:49:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 30 June 2006 00:28 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Brad Sims <brad.m.sims@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:07:45 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> I want to look at an Excel or Gnumeric spreadsheet over an ssh
>>> connection without having to use VNC.
>>
>> Ya know I want to do that to but with OpenOffice spreadsheets <g>.
>
> It would be useful to have a stripped-down version of OO which could
> just pull numbers, labels, ranges and formulae from spreadsheets.
> Unfortunately, I suspect that sc wouldn't support most of the recently
> added formulae, but even having the /results/ would be useful, I
> suspect.

I still believe that any applications (take YaST for example) should be
designed to be accessible in a stripped-down, command-line mode and only
then (or in tandem) be extended to have a graphical front-end. That happens
to be the approach I took when programming a game whose front-end uses
OpenGL. Essentially, returning to YaST2 as an example, the user has a nice
fallback, so the requirements bar is lowered and portability is improved. In
my case, command-line mode was also a good tool for debugging, improving
speed, and dumping game states (rather than variables or screenshots), which
proved useful for research purposes.

So I guess that my point would be that OpenOffice should get some
command-line interfaces as well, whether these are good (functional, usable)
or not. They will at least be accessible and in due time improved like
emacs, to a greater or lesser extent.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Tasks: 177 total,   2 running, 157 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie