Re: [News] OpenOffice, Office, and Ownership

__/ [ Scott W ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 13:54 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 13:00 \__

>>> Interestingly, there's been a slow-down of upgrades in the business
>>> world: Office 2000 was SO much better than Office 97 that almost everyone
>>> upgraded; The marginal increase in functionality provided by Office 2002
>>> was not as great as that from 97 to 2000 so not as many upgraded; and the
>>> perceived increase in functionality between office 2002 and Office 2003
>>> was very little for the large additional cost, so a very great number of
>>> SMEs did NOT upgrade to Office 2003. Of course that doesn't take into
>>> account the support factor such as security updates - eventually ALL MS
>>> Office users will probably be forced to upgrade or reject MS Office
>>> altogether.....
>>
>> That's  an  intersting  point, Gordon. I might  also  add  a
>> neglected  factor  here,  which  is  backward  compatibility
>> versus extension. One reason why businesses are often forced
>> to  migrate  are  other  departments  whose  use  of  Office
>> requires  recency  of  versions  from  their  partners,  for
>> version  compatibility. Take, for example, OpenOffice 1  and
>> Office  2003.  Next week I'll be presenting at a  conference
>> and  the  format of the presentation will be  PowerPoint.  I
>> never  touched PowerPoint (not in many, many years), but  my
>> Supervisor  embedded  elements (namely animations)  that  as
>> OpenOffice 'sanitation' will lose.
>>

> iirc MS Powerpoint has the ability to create "self-containing"
> presentations that can be run without the need for Powerpoint. or was
> that in older versions?

Pack-and-go is probably still available, but I don't have any Windows boxes.
Some more binary tarballs is the last thing I need in my filespace. Even
OpenOffice is unlikely to decipher such proprietary junk, which only runs on
Windows (a dying breed). I wouldn't count on Wine either. Lastly, any
compilation (e.g. PDF/PostScript) is, in absence of the source, a bad idea.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  2:00pm  up 62 days 19:03,  14 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.54, 0.77