Re: [News] OpenOffice, Office, and Ownership

__/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 13:00 \__

> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> I'd want some persuasive reason to spend money on something from
>> Microsoft, which won't run on most platforms and is proprietary, as
>> an alternative to using something which is open, and will run on most
>> platforms, and has no purchase price.
>>
>> It's hard to imagine why anyone would even consider buying Office 2007
>
> Interestingly, there's been a slow-down of upgrades in the business world:
> Office 2000 was SO much better than Office 97 that almost everyone
> upgraded; The marginal increase in functionality provided by Office 2002
> was not as great as that from 97 to 2000 so not as many upgraded; and the
> perceived increase in functionality between office 2002 and Office 2003 was
> very little for the large additional cost, so a very great number of SMEs
> did NOT upgrade to Office 2003. Of course that doesn't take into account
> the support factor such as security updates - eventually ALL MS Office
> users will probably be forced to upgrade or reject MS Office
> altogether.....

That's  an  intersting  point, Gordon. I might  also  add  a
neglected  factor  here,  which  is  backward  compatibility
versus extension. One reason why businesses are often forced
to  migrate  are  other  departments  whose  use  of  Office
requires  recency  of  versions  from  their  partners,  for
version  compatibility. Take, for example, OpenOffice 1  and
Office  2003.  Next week I'll be presenting at a  conference
and  the  format of the presentation will be  PowerPoint.  I
never  touched PowerPoint (not in many, many years), but  my
Supervisor  embedded  elements (namely animations)  that  as
OpenOffice 'sanitation' will lose.

Half  a  year  ago  I protected against  the  organisers  of
another   conference  because  they  forbade  the   use   of
JS/CSS/XHTML  presentation  (just open in Web  browser),  as
well   OpenOffice.   Microsoft   Office   (PowerPoint)   was
prescribed,  but  why? After some persuasion they  permitted
the  use  of OpenOffice. The introduction of ODF is  yet  to
have considerable impact as it makes some fine headlines and
raises  awareness. There is a cost to fighting your own wars
because  your  colleagues  soon begin to perceive you  as  a
formats/platform  Nazi  and relationships are being  eroded.
And  again, why? Because <Nobody ever gets fired for  buying
from Microsoft>^tm?

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Cpu(s):  20.2% user,   3.6% system,  17.3% nice,  58.9% idle