Re: A Comparison Between Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Installing Ubuntu: A comparison of Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP
>
> ,----[ Summary ]
> | Windows XP and Ubuntu 6.06 were both quick to install; each install was
> | complete in less than two hours. Windows took about twice as long as
> | Ubuntu to install, primarily because of the additional time required
> | to install (and update) non-OS software packages.
> |
> | The largest potential problem with both operating system installations
> | is hardware recognition (as I encountered with Windows XP). Ubuntu's use
> | of a LiveCD is an advantage here, as it allows new users to test their
> | system before formatting their hard drive. However, more hardware
> | is generally supported in Windows than in Ubuntu, as many manufacturers
> | build Windows-specific drivers (but do not make Linux drivers).
> |
> | Window's reliance on commercial software adds to the difficulty and
> | annoyance of its install. In Ubuntu, a lot of software is installed
> | by default, and additional packages can be searched for and installed
> | (for free) from an easy-to-use "add/remove programs" menu (note: the
> | primary exception to this are programs to play specific media formats,
> | some of which suffer from patent issues and thus can be more difficult
> | to obtain in Linux than in Windows, though EasyUbuntu and Ubuntu's help
> | pages deal with this). In Windows, many basic software packages (e.g.,
> | office suite, photo editing software, IM clients) are not installed by
> | default, and must be downloaded or purchased from a variety of websites
> | or companies. This commercial software also increases the chances of
> | ads appearing on the computer, as happened to me many times during
> | the Windows installation, but never in Ubuntu.
> |
> | Linux is typically considered to be an extremely difficult operating
> | system to install. I believe Ubuntu challenges that perception.
> `----
>
> http://rhosgobel.blogspot.com/2006/06/installing-ubuntu-comparison-of-ubuntu.html

Contradictory to this persons records of Installing OS (including
partitioning), check this:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/7b1c0bd748b5e24e/e756d1878f27a12e?q=installation+ubuntu+chirag&rnum=2#e756d1878f27a12e

Update OS should take longer for XP, thought I havent gotten any
numbers right now. Well, again, it depends on the CD that is being
used.