Re: [News] Sony Expects to Ship 100 Miliion Linux Boxes (PlayStations 3's)

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Sunday 25 June 2006 13:12 \__

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=68990

> It's not like they have any big competition to worry about. Certainly
> not from the YechsBotch, anyway.

They have a competition _over price_, with Nintendo, as a gaming console. On
the other hand, they do *not* have competition over price, as a PC, with
Nintendo. Wintendos require super-duper graphics cards and lot of RAM just
to run properly before getting pwned.

The PS3, despite being Linux-based, will not intimidate any customers
(stereotypes and myths to blame) because it's packaged as an appliance.

> I don't know if I'll be one of those 100M, though. Probably not.

*If*, in due time, it became a _fully-functional_ Linux PC, with the extra
functionality which are games (atop a powerful Cell), then I would probably
consider it. The competition is tough though because Linux PC's are sold for
just over $100 nowdays. They could connect to a television set, too.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Cpu(s):  20.3% user,   3.6% system,  18.4% nice,  57.6% idle