Re: Hollywood OS wars

  • Subject: Re: Hollywood OS wars
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:43:36 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <dugmq8$1e0g$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> How about those scenes where people's bodies are thrown aback when they get
> shot? The bullet most likely pierces the body and fails to force movement on
> a 150 pound torso. Yet, it intensified the action, I guess.

Yup.  I don't know if you get this show over there, but on
"Mythbusters", they did a show on Hollywood myths, and this was one they
covered.

Momentum = mass x velocity.  If we take a 150 pound man, and a 1 ounce
bullet, he has 2400 times the mass of the bullet, so if all the momentum
of the shot were transfered to the person, they'd be kicked back at a
velocity of 1/2400 of the bullet's velocity, tops.

If the bullet were going just under the speed of sound, that would give
the person a kick of around 1/3 of a mile/hour.

The Mythbusters did some tests shooting a dead pig.  It was on a rig
that held it, but would let it fly back.  The best they got, with a big
gun, was to knock it back a few inches.

--
--Tim Smith