Re: Hollywood OS wars

  • Subject: Re: Hollywood OS wars
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:00:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Malware Magnet ] on Monday 06 March 2006 06:50 \__

> AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> On 6 Mar 2006 05:40:23 GMT, owl <owl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>Linux and Windows both win.
>>
>>>Best Documentary Feature:
>>>March of the Penguins
>>
>>>Best Picture:
>>>Crash

I was actually thinking Terminator. "Hasta la Vista, Billy".

>> who gives a shit about what holywood has to say about operating system?

Hollywood is trying the balance at O/S market at times, much as they do with
race. I have seen film and series where use of Windows and Mac OS is shown
alternately. I refuse to believe it's merely a coincidence and I would not
be surprised if money funnelling for airtime was involved.

>> they can't even show a computer without christmas lights and which doesn't
>> put up text at 30 baud with card punch noises.
>>
>> Hollywood just can't figure out how to show somebody using a computer in a
>> slightly realistic manner.

Realistic to /you/? I know exactly what you mean, but I happen to see many
others who use computers in "a slightly unrealistic manner". It's a matter
of perception.

> lol... indeed. I've always noticed, in both movies and TV shows, when they
> show someone using a computer - that person is almost *always* typing
> (loudly) on the keyboard. Experience would indicate that most computer
> users use the mouse.

Very true.

> This is akin to the "tire screeching" sound while the big car chase scene
> is on a dirt road.

How about those scenes where people's bodies are thrown aback when they get
shot? The bullet most likely pierces the body and fails to force movement on
a 150 pound torso. Yet, it intensified the action, I guess.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
  6:50am  up 5 days  2:28,  13 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.48, 0.44