Re: Whining about Wine

  • Subject: Re: Whining about Wine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:00:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 15:48 \__

> Linønutlinønut@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>> This is a real killer for me, and I don't understand why it is
>> happening, though I think it has something to do with Debian etch's
>> version of glibc.  Here's the story.
>>
>> I've been running CrossOver Office (wine) on my gentoo box for quite
>> awhile, and was running it on my old debian laptop (which my wife has
>> now taken over to use Win2000 on).  It worked pretty well, although IE
>> has lately become a bit too flicker-full for some reason.
>>
>> This time, I wanted to try to use plain Wine to run MS Office.
>>
>> I built 0.9.8, and tried all the tricks noted to get Office XP to
>> install.  Couldn't get it to work.
>>
>> So I tried Office 2000 Premium, and got it to install (with some
>> flakes).  But Word would bug out when I tried to save a document.
>> Even when I disabled Clippy (what a piece of shit!) during the install.
>>
>> I toyed with buying CrossOver for the third time, but balked.  So I
>> downloaded their trial version.  It installed Office 2000 just fine.
>> But the bug out still persisted!  Maybe it is a problem in the premium
>> version.
>>
>> So, right now, I'm kind of stuck, which is a first for me and MS Office
>> running on Linux.  Is it a glibc issue (Debian uses NPTL)?
>>
>> As a footnote, when I mentioned these problems to a Linux-using friend
>> at work (a guy who has, incidentally, gotten his brother and father into
>> Linux big-time), he expressed surprise that I would even bother using MS
>> Office -- he claimed that all he uses now is OpenOffice 2, and that he's
>> had no translation problems -- I've had Word claim it needed to "repair"
>> a document, though).
>>
>> For now, I will do some more experimenting with OpenOffice.  It looks
>> like version 2.0.2 is newly available:
>>
>>    http://www.openoffice.org/
>>
>> Release notes:
>>
>>    http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.0.2rc4.html
>

> I never used Winde/Crossover-office so I can't answer anything there.
> But stepping back a bit and looking at the overall picture... Why are
> you even installing MS Office? It's not clear from your post.
>
> ( Where I'm going with this is the old - "Doctor, it hurts when I bang
> my head against the wall." joke. I'm curious why you're banging your
> head against the wall. I'm sure there must be a reason.)

I'd have go with Larry on this one. Why on earth would you depend on
applications that do not work natively on your platform? I could care less
about bad reflectance upon the choice of O/S, but why is it that you choose
to run Wine? It is called Wine for a reason. Those who /whine/ about not
having a Windows application ought to use it, as a transitory, temporary
tool. Others just leave it in where it belongs. It is a valuable tool for
transportation of users from Windows to Linux. If you need more tools, just
search SourceForce

OpenOffice, by the way, is a fine tool which obviates dependence on Office
and annuls data lock-ins. Unless you heavily depend on cruft like 'table
drawing', nothing will be missed. Such stupid extensions remind me of the
following:

When you can innovate making actual *advancement*, make a nice headline/story
instead...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:50pm  up 3 days  8:27,  7 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.54, 0.52