Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

__/ [ Lobo ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 06:20 \__

> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight5
>
> "We are now in the final stages of Dapper Drake development. Everything is
> stabilizing, and Ubuntu 6.04 will certainly be a top-notch professional
> OS."
>
> Looking good. Maybe this will be the Linux distro that even tabby can
> install  ;-)

For  those  who love eye candy, Dapper features an easily-installable  XGL
package. Why bother mentioning this? Everyone knows that UNIX variants are
powerful  working  tools, but 'wrapping' has probably been a  drawback  to
many  (marketing aside). XGL beats the hell out of Tiger and Vista,  which
let us face it, have got some catching up to do. It is ironic that visuals
make  the most conspicuous selling point whilst popular applications  like
Firefox are known to have Open Source roots.

Ubuntu  was noted best distribution of the year. I see many who migrate to
the  Ubuntu 'family' of distribution, so this release is a major milestone
that  will have great impact. Version 7 of Ubuntu is due around September,
which still predates the release of Windows Vista. OSX is fairly idle,  as
it has been for several years.

My two cents