Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

In article <dv0fek$1qvf$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> For  those  who love eye candy, Dapper features an easily-installable  XGL
> package. Why bother mentioning this? Everyone knows that UNIX variants are
> powerful  working  tools, but 'wrapping' has probably been a  drawback  to
> many  (marketing aside). XGL beats the hell out of Tiger and Vista,  which
> let us face it, have got some catching up to do. It is ironic that visuals
> make  the most conspicuous selling point whilst popular applications  like
> Firefox are known to have Open Source roots.

You're overly optimistic as to the state of XGL.  See the Wikipedia
article for a good summary of the current status:

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl>

Also, note that to get good performance out of this will require binary
drivers from NVidia and ATI.  Expect some major bitching about that from
certain directions.  I wonder if that will prevent some distributions
from adopting this technology?

--
--Tim Smith