Re: Vista Editions: "IT Nightmare"

__/ [ Ben Cartwright ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 20:59 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Title: Six Vistas "an IT nightmare"
>>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>> | "It's ridiculous," says Steven Enright, senior network manager at
>> | Glenwood Management, a large New York residential property management
>> | firm.
>> |
>> | His point is that by splitting its OSes into multiple SKUs (stock
>> | keeping units), Microsoft has potentially added significant extra work
>> | for already overloaded system administrators.
>> |
>> | Whether the final tally reaches six or eight, or if you focus only on
>> | the two enterprise Vista versions, Vista Business and Windows
>> | Enterprise, the headache to IT administrators is still considerable.
>> `----
>
> 5742 Linux distros. Now theres a IT Nightmare if I ever saw one.

Many of these *cough* 5742 *cough* distributions are rarely and arcanely
used. On the contrary, for Microsoft it is a strategic choice that fragments
itself.

If you consider 95% of the Linux market, you probably have /less/ than 6-8
Linux distributions. Many of them are merely the same, only with a different
composition of 'Lego pieces'. Then, come to consider old versions of
Windows. That makes matters even worse, especially as patching is ever more
crucial, due to bad modularity and a flawed RPC model. Wait and see.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  2:25am  up 4 days 19:02,  9 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.62, 0.53