Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

  • Subject: Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:17:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Edwin ] on Monday 13 March 2006 03:09 \__

> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 06:20 +0000, Lobo wrote:
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight5
>>
>> "We are now in the final stages of Dapper Drake development. Everything is
>> stabilizing, and Ubuntu 6.04 will certainly be a top-notch professional
>> OS."
>>
>> Looking good. Maybe this will be the Linux distro that even tabby can
>> install  ;-)
>
> Why would he have any problem with Breezy Badger? ...

Why? I'll tell you why...

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-262-1

What they will not tell you is that silly Ubuntu programmers /accidentally/
left a back door for root access. The first account to have been created had
a password stored in plain text in one of the log files. Essentially, it is
possibly that standard users on a particular machine could snatch the root
password. It is *NOT* a Linux issue, but incompetence of just one team,
which exposes the machine to its privileged users.

Mind you, Windows administrator access is easier to break. All you need to do
is boot from a floppy.

> ... I got it free in
> Linux Magazine, and it installed just fine for me, then it automatically
> installed 55 updates, and another 7 updates tonight.

If you had several users on that same machine, be sure to change the root
password.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!
  4:10am  up 4 days 20:47,  9 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.52, 0.57