Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

__/ [ thorne25@xxxxxxxx ] on Monday 13 March 2006 16:08 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Edwin ] on Monday 13 March 2006 03:09 \__

>> > Why would he have any problem with Breezy Badger? ...
>>

>> Why? I'll tell you why...
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-262-1
>
> I was already aware of that before I asked my question, thanks.
>
>> What they will not tell you is that silly Ubuntu programmers
>> /accidentally/ left a back door for root access. The first account to have
>> been created had a password stored in plain text in one of the log files.
>> Essentially, it is possibly that standard users on a particular machine
>> could snatch the root password. It is *NOT* a Linux issue, but
>> incompetence of just one team, which exposes the machine to its privileged
>> users.
>
> So this is really only an issue for machines with multiple users who
> know something about the Linux password system.   OTOH, "In general, a
> standard system upgrade is sufficient to effect the necessary changes"
>
> In my case I'm the only user, and the system was upgraded as soon as my
> DSL was attached.
>
>> Mind you, Windows administrator access is easier to break. All you need to
>> do is boot from a floppy.
>
> Most Windows users don't bother with User accounts at all, from what
> I've seen, or even with an Admin password.    Just turn on their
> machine and you're in.  ;-)
>

>> > ... I got it free in
>> > Linux Magazine, and it installed just fine for me, then it automatically
>> > installed 55 updates, and another 7 updates tonight.
>>

>> If you had several users on that same machine, be sure to change the root
>> password.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>
> Thanks, Roy.    I think the upgrade took care of it, but even so, it's
> not really a problem for me.

        Some Windows users who feel threatened by the Linux wave blew it out of
propertion in Digg /et al/. They did the same to Mac OS X.

        We have both realised that this issue affects only systems where users are
granted accounts although they cannot be trusted. I have two machines where
'foreign' accounts exist, but both secondary users are friends or
colleagues. One runs Hoary and one runs SuSE, so none was under jeopardy. In
fact, I would love to hear about 'distaster stories' as I doubt any shall
come up.

        Weak password choices on non-admin accounts are probably the biggest hole in
(X)Ubuntu 5.10 (Badget), for those who have not upgraded (patched up) yet.
If I recall correctly, however, SSH daemon is unavailable and thus disabled
by default in Ubuntu installations.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
  4:35pm  up 5 days  9:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.73, 0.66, 0.61