Re: Whining about Wine

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Monday 13 March 2006 15:13 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 15:17 \__

>> > This simply isn't practical in the real world. For starters if American
>> > Express, Visa Internation or Citibank sends me a word document, they
>> > are not going to change their entire company to OpenOffice simply
>> > because I ask them too. The person sending the email isn't the person
>> > responsible for this. Large companies and governments are huge
>> > beuracracies and the person emailing me a document is simply a cog in
>> > the wheel... even if they agree, they won't be able to change anything.

>> > This <sarcasm>pragmatic</sarcasm> approach will work fine in the
>> > real-world for about 5 seconds. Once your employer gets enough
>> > complaints or loses their first account because you refuse to open
>> > email based on some silly principal you'll be back out on the street
>> > looking for your next job.

>> > Interpreted as your employer fails to provide employees with basic
>> > tools.

>> > Interpreted as your employer is a rinky-dink shop that forces employees
>> > to buy their own software.

>> > Interpreted as you are not capable of knowing how to open an
>> > attachment.

>> > 99% of people in the real world simply want to get their work done.
>> > They are not interested in your personal politics.

>> > They are not interested in doing extra work or taking extra steps just
>> > for you.

>> > People simply want to get their work done. They are not interested in
>> > your personal politics.

>> > Have you ever had a real job Roy? Have you ever worked for a
>> > Fortune-500 company? Your post is nice in theory and altruistic but it
>> > is simply unrealistic in the corporate world.
>>
>> I did not appreciate or even cared for some of your comments, Larry. Mind
>> you, yesterday I resigned from a job I have had for 3.5 year. They needed
>> me more than I needed them and I have another job, as well as a full-time
>> Ph.D. in my hands. For that last mean remark of yours, I lost some respect
>> for you, Sir.
>
> My last comment? - " Your post is nice in theory and altruistic but it
> is simply unrealistic in the corporate world. "
>
> Well it happens to be true. An employer does *not* hire people to
> pursue their own personal agendas. While you may feel strongly about
> your position and it may be altruistic to you, your employer should not
> be brought in to it. When you work at a company the actions you take
> and the emails you write as an employee are representative of the
> organization you work for. Responding to the companies your employer
> does buisiness with and telling them that you "refuse" to open their
> email because it's in a closed monopolistic format is no more
> acceptable, or tolerable than appending pro-life or pro-choice
> propoganda to your email. If that's your *personal* position then fine,
> you are free to follow your beliefs on your personal time. But not
> [...]

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I was either caught at the heat of
a moment or simply exaggerated a bit, merely for a point to be made. I have
enough tact to use reasonable judgment. I may ask a close colleague or a
friend to resend data in a format that suits me better (e.g. latterly it was
Excel for results from brain volume analysis).

When it comes to work, I would do the best I can and otherwise ask politely
for an alternative format or pick up the phone to avoid the pitfalls of
E-mail ambiguities.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:55pm  up 5 days  9:32,  7 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.74, 0.74