Re: Whining about Wine

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 15:17 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ rapskat ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 22:48 \__

>> > I understand your points here 'Nut, however I agree with what Roy is
>> > saying; if you absolutely need to use Windows software, then just use
>> > Windows.
>> >
>> > The ultimate goal should be to totally remove the need for any Windows
>> > software whatsoever, therefore removing the need for Windows or
>> > emulators.
>> >  Until then, just think of the ideal vs. the practical.
>>
>> I think Linonut suffers from customer-driven lock-ins, but for that very
>> particular reason, I suggest asking the cutomer to migrate to OpenOffice
>> or to save documents in a more standardised format. It is possible even in
>> Word.
>
> This simply isn't practical in the real world. For starters if American
> Express, Visa Internation or Citibank sends me a word document, they
> are not going to change their entire company to OpenOffice simply
> because I ask them too. The person sending the email isn't the person
> responsible for this. Large companies and governments are huge
> beuracracies and the person emailing me a document is simply a cog in
> the wheel... even if they agree, they won't be able to change anything.
>

>> I still refuse to accept Microsoft Office file by E-mail, even though I
>> can open them in OpenOffice. I won't even open them. It is a matter of
>> principle. If you never voice dissatisfaction, it /won't/ stop.
>
> This <sarcasm>pragmatic</sarcasm> approach will work fine in the
> real-world for about 5 seconds. Once your employer gets enough
> complaints or loses their first account because you refuse to open
> email based on some silly principal you'll be back out on the street
> looking for your next job.
>

>> Append one of the following to your reply (it's a quick cut-and-paste
>> job):
>>
>> ,----[ Borrowed quotes (source unknown) ]
>> | I do not have a copy of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
> Interpreted as your employer fails to provide employees with basic
> tools.
>
>> | I have no plans to buy one.
> Interpreted as your employer is a rinky-dink shop that forces employees
> to buy their own software.
>
>> | Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> Interpreted as you are not capable of knowing how to open an
> attachment.
>

>> | Word, Excel, and PowerPoint use proprietary data formats,
>> | encouraging consumerism by forcing us to purchase new licenses
>> | every time they "upgrade" their secret formats.
> 99% of people in the real world simply want to get their work done.
> They are not interested in your personal politics.
>

>> | Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.
>> | See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> They are not interested in doing extra work or taking extra steps just
> for you.
>

>> | Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> [...]

I did not appreciate or even cared for some of your comments, Larry. Mind
you, yesterday I resigned from a job I have had for 3.5 year. They needed me
more than I needed them and I have another job, as well as a full-time Ph.D.
in my hands. For that last mean remark of yours, I lost some respect for
you, Sir.