Re: Ubuntu - Dapper Flight 5 released

  • Subject: Re: Ubuntu - Dapper Flight 5 released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:26:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
__/ [ Lobo ] on Monday 13 March 2006 17:04 \__

> Here is information on the latest Ubuntu. Sorry if this is the wrong
> ng but my isp doesn't carry the Ubuntu news group yet.
>
> Introduction
>
> We are now in the final stages of Dapper Drake development. Everything
> is stabilizing, and Ubuntu 6.04 will certainly be a top-notch
> professional OS. Now that all of the lower level improvements have
> been made, it is time to close the hood and rub on a coat of wax. This
> week brings us Dapper Flight 5, the fifth alpha release of Ubuntu 6.04
> - The Dapper Drake. With Flight 5 comes a new and improved Human
> Look-and-Feel, a few new GUI power tools, and much more. On to the
> screenshots!
> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight5
>

> "Significant improvements in GNOME 2.14 have lead to noticable
> speed-ups throughout the desktop."
> http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/

Now, if only they got rid of these mocha-coloured tones and removed that
mockup image which appears when GNOME is being loaded (if you have seen the
placeholder, you'd agree). While they think it's rather playful, it seems
rather unprofessional an definitely unpolished.

Yet, Ubuntu alphas enable you to run more than 3 processes. And they do not
require auxiliary firewall and AV software. *wink*

Many more shots in OSDir (added this morning, I believe):

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=593&slide=4

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  7:20pm  up 5 days 11:57,  7 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.62, 0.68