Re: Reliability FUD Campaign

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 15:54 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:12:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> another planet and whose sole aim is to disprove it. This reminds me of
>> the requirement from an atheist to prove that there exists no God
>> (disprove the existence of something is impossible, let alone prove the
>> inexistence of something).
>
> Two points:
>
> 1) You're not seriously suggesting that all atheists maintain there are
> no, and/or cannot be, gods, are you?  As an atheist, I find this notion
> somewhat amusing.

An atheist does not need to disprove the existence of anything? There is
nothing to begin with, so why bother?

I have read this discussion before (defining atheism) in the atheistic
newsgroups, but I can't recall it precisely. It's better in textual form
that is unambiguous and accurate.

> 2) Proving the non-existence of something can, in fact, be trivial,
> depending upon what exactly is involved.  The old saw about "Can God make
> a rock so big He can't lift it", for example, while being somewhat long in
> the tooth, is quite sufficient to destroy, absolutely and entirely, any
> silly-ass notion of an omnipotent deity - though it doesn't rule out
> more limited versions.

I never thought about it in such terms. To me, even thinking about method for
falsifying an existence is an utter waste of time. To each his/her own; Not
to us.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
  4:05pm  up 7 days  8:42,  7 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.46, 0.54