Re: Microsoft Doubt .NET

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 16:40 \__

http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_Vista%3A_Microsoft_loses_confidence_in_.NET

> [...]
>>> the platform that takes over the remainder of the applications market. I
>>> wonder if it just isn't quite ready for client machines yet, though I do
>>> know from a development point of view it is already working.
>>

>> It is not my turf to argue over. I have never used .NET. I can only
>> suggest that it reflects badly on .NET when its creator is unable or
>> unwilling to use it.
>>
>> As a broad statement, people tend to defend what they do, as well as the
>> tools they use. You raved about .NET before, but unless you have used many
>> IDE's and SDK's, on a whole wide variety of platforms (adverse to .NET), I
>> consider your review to be void.
>
> You have no knowledge of what experience I've had, which makes your post
> void.
>
> I have been programming since 1979ish, assembler for many years, then C and
> c++, php, rubyrails (though no actual end products other than in house
> utilities with rails), various basics (though I don't enjoy programming in
> any basic, I'm not a C snob, its just not one I enjoy working in). On UNIX,
> Novell, IBM PC, MS and many embedded systems. Over the years I have used
> almost every IDE that has been out in a bid to save weary programmers
> fingers, but always ended up back in vi and a run/debug window, because in
> the end it is easier and quicker. Though I will say that at one point MS
> did a very good IDE for masm that I did try to get along with, it was
> really to big a beast for the computers available at the time, so again
> ended up back on the command line for the sake of speed.
>
> For MS programming I have used their IDE for masm (and nasm), the early C
> ones (2.5 and 6) plus Visual studio. Visual studio tends to get on my tits,
> I hate a cluttered screen when I'm working and those blastered cursor pop
> ups that just get in the way. But I can understand those learning to
> program wanting to use it for the same reasons I didn't want to use it.
>
> These were all in real world programming situations.
>
> The one I mentioned though, VWD, out classes all of the other MS IDEs I
> have used (though it is still too cluttered for me), think past a simple
> single window tool where your compile/debug etc is just a menu and you can
> wysiwyg your screens (never really an essential I thought, what do you do?
> you draw the screen with controls etc, then re-position and size them in
> code anyway. Might as well miss the first step in that and let your code do
> the work). Vwd really does go further and actually helps you write the
> application. That is why I think new programmers will use it and current
> programmers would move to it simply because it will reduce contract time,
> possibly putting them into bonus time.
>
> In the end, I hear you say, its .net2 your programming so any IDE could be
> made to do the things vwd does. But my point is, vwd is already out and
> being used, .net2 is already out and being used. Net2 is much more likely
> to sell NTs than anything else MS has done.

Sorry I doubted your experience, Bear. It may have sounded (per reading)
ruder than was intended

Intersting take, so I'll re-read. As for development, I tend to prefer using
Kate at the moment, not only for C/C++, but also for MATLAB. I find MATLAB's
IDE ("desktop") rather appaling in terms of productivity gain offered. In
fact, as a language, I prefer running it in pure command-line mode, much
like ML (declarative programming). Don't get me wrong. I started with the
desktop, not the command-line? Then emerged questions like "how can I manage
20 sessions on 20 workstations with this bloated IDE"? Or "why is this thing
so slow and unresponsive?" (especially over SSH)

The theory behind IDE's is rather nice and it can provides a nice cushion to
new users. However, habits do adapt and certain working habits outperform
preceding habits. The IDE has its place in computing, but it does not
obviate the need for other development paradigms. It depends on the project
at hand.