Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop
  • From: Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:51:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Op Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:07:50 +0000, schreef Kier:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:52:42 -0600, Linønutlinønut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> All news from the past 10 hours.
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060316/tc_nm/microsoft_gates_dc
>>
>> First:
>>
>>    "Hardware is a small part of the cost" of providing computing
>>    capabilities, he said, adding that the big costs come from network
>>    connectivity, applications and support.
>>
>> And then the next paragraph, said immediately before this shit:
>>
>>    Before his critique, Gates showed off a new "ultra-mobile computer"
>>    which runs Microsoft Windows on a seven-inch (17.78-centimeter) touch
>>    screen.
>
> Nice kit, but totally inappropriate to the people the $100 gizmo is being
> developed for.
>

>>    Those machines are expected to sell for between $599 and $999,
>>    Microsoft said at the product launch last week.
>>
>> Bill Gates is an asshole.
>
> He seems to have entirely missed the point of this $100 computer. It's not
> intended to be a full-on laptop or even something along the lines of a
> large hand-held. It's designed for places without access to mains
> electricity, where the environment is pretty basic and conditions can
> render any piece of sophisticated kit inoprable. That's what the wind-up
> radio was all about - and it's been very popular and has done a lot of
> good in isolated and deprived communities.
>
> The poeple using this wind-up laptop aren't going to need to store huge
> multimedia files, they'll be doing things like email and other basic
> communications tasks, in an environment where the Origami would choke and
> die.
>
> He should think before he speaks.

Nah, this is the same old hypocrisy we've come to expect from M$; making
lots of good PR with "helping to educate poor children", but in reality
screwing 'em over any old way they can. I distinctly remember they offered
a dirt poor Namibia school project a few thousand dollars' worth of
software for free, but in unsurpassable 419 style demanded tens of
thousands of dollars for the OS licenses needed to run the "free gift".

These people make me sick.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/