Re: Stopping Spam at Google...

__/ [ Mel ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 15:45 \__

> canadafred wrote:
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> > ... so the issue  involves more than a single company and ...
>>
>> and that is why I am in full support of the major SEs working together to
>> combat spammers. Why can't MSN, Yahoo and Google collectively merge their
>> spam filtering technologies to work towards eradicating this ever-growing
>> SERP problem? This type of collaboration would not negatively effect their
>> individual search market shares. In fact, it would assist them in finding
>> a cost effective solution to the eradication a SERP spam. Together, I am
>> certain that they could take a bite the spammers pretty hard, but
>> individually they seem to lack a sustained interest.

This comes to show the impact of the me, me, me, money, money, money culture.
I suggest that you read the Bill Gates interview, which hit the headlines
with a negative connotation this morning.

The Open Source community works cohesively towards a goal by coordinating
efforts and strategy (e.g. GNOME, KDE), as well as agreeing on format (e.g.
ODF in KOffice, StarOffice, OpenOffice, AbiWord) and swapping code.

> I think if any one of them stop showing backlinks and pagerank on their
> own and still based search on link popularity they would put the rest
> out of business in almost no time flat. Incidently rumor has it that's
> what the new msn search will be. Based on link popularity like google
> but they will hide backlinks and pagerank from us. So we may soon find
> out....

Making links invisible will not become a deterrent for spammers. As mentioned
before, links are being aggregated 'on the fly' while those displayed are
just a mere sample. What you propose is killing the backlink system
altogether, but would do you propose as an alternative? My own idea is
explained in http://iuron.com , if you are interested in reading.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:55pm  up 8 days 10:32,  7 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.59, 0.60