Re: ¿Recommended distribution?

  • Subject: Re: ¿Recommended distribution?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:48:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ jmorenoamor@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 17 March 2006 11:36 \__

> Hi all
>
> I've put my hands in an old Pentium IIand would like to use it as a
> linux server running PHP/Apache for little personal webs mainly. I
> don't need graphic interface because there will be no monitor or kb
> installed (only remote use).
>
> Can you recomend me a good distribution for this config? The system is
> a PII with 256MB RAM, a GeForce2 and 20GB HD.
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Have a look at the following list:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/

Your hardware specifications should make the use of X both possible and
practical, but there will be a performance cost if you only intend to run it
as a server. That said, it is sometimes nice to be able to 'ssh -X'  to do
some administrative tasks rather than edit text files in vim.

Best wishes,