Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?

  • Subject: Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?
  • From: "billwg" <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:07:23 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
news:dveria$hpt$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [ Lobo ] on Friday 17 March 2006 17:18 \__
>
>> If the OLPC computer was available for sale right now, would you buy
>> it?
>>
>> At $100
>> At $150
>> At $200
>
> It is not intended to serve, nor is it built to cater for the needs in
> the
> West. This should answers Larry's questions and nag, too. The question
> is
> _not_ "will you ever buy it yourself?". We are not the targeted niche.
>
> As for myself, I wouldn't buy it either (not even for a hundred
> bucks). Yet,
> it is highly valuable in an environment where many such laptops exist
> (for
> connectivity) and in places where cost is _not_ a choice. Savings are
> not a
> consideration, for this is simply what can be afforded.

Tut, roy, you wouldn't buy it because it is a useless POS.  There is a
minimum level of participation in the on-line society that makes it
worthwhile to do so.  If you can't run with the big dogs, you are just
cluttering up the track and are not going to get a leg up for the
experience.  If you want to get into the modern age, you need the
correct tools and 1 person with a $500 machine that works is more
effective than 5 people hunched over some piece of crap.