Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?

__/ [ Lobo ] on Friday 17 March 2006 18:04 \__

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:25:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Lobo ] on Friday 17 March 2006 17:18 \__
>>
>>> If the OLPC computer was available for sale right now, would you buy
>>> it?
>>>
>>> At $100
>>> At $150
>>> At $200
>>
>>It is not intended to serve, nor is it built to cater for the needs in the
>>West. This should answers Larry's questions and nag, too. The question is
>>_not_ "will you ever buy it yourself?". We are not the targeted niche.
>
> I fully realize that the developed countries not the targeted niche.
> But there are many instances where a product, intended for one
> specific use, found markets in completely unintended areas. You must
> remember the origins of the home desktop computer? Not one in a
> thousand of the mainframe, business users of computers thought that
> was practical, let alone viable, at the time.

I guess one possible use that I can think of involves farming in the West.
Factories might not need it because energy consumption is somewhat of a
minor issue. It's within reach, typically. The laptop is built to endure
hits and falls, which let us face it, standard laptops are sensitive too
because they are hard and heavy.

>>As for myself, I wouldn't buy it either (not even for a hundred bucks).
>>Yet, it is highly valuable in an environment where many such laptops exist
>>(for connectivity) and in places where cost is _not_ a choice. Savings are
>>not a consideration, for this is simply what can be afforded.
>
> I can foresee a market in western countries for the youngest school
> children to personally own one of these and be able to take it home.
> They could easily interact with their peers.

Frankly, I think the younger generation needs to improve face-to-face
interaction. I have come across some nags that speak of conferences and
seminars where Wi-Fi is within range. The attendants just surf the Net on
the laptop in order to 'kill' time. Some of them open chat rooms and talk
about the presenter. This involves particpants who reside in the room and
can be quite insulting to the organisers.

> After all, Mommy and Daddy have their own laptops... why not junior?
>
> BTW, my SO's grandson knows how to type, play cd's, surf, email and
> he's only 5 1/2. He's not even in school yet. (His dad has a home
> business based on computers)

My 9-year-old sister has had this mockup laptop which is designed for kids
and is supposed to provide  some educational programs. She has little
interest in it because the large, 'proper' computer is rather more
appealing. She has discovered ICQ as well. I think that low-cost laptops
would not appeal to spoiled children who prefer a brightly-lit GameBoy
Advance or a PSP, which allows them to brag in public. No flash, no sale.