Re: Xara Xtreme Goes GPL!

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 11:48 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <dvqop7$4qn$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 01:10 \__
>>
>>> begin  risky.vbs
>>> <W5SdnXpCHJgrFr3ZRVn-vA@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

>>> So how is it for you? It seems pretty useless to me at this time. It
>>> will only open files in its format. A bit of a chicken and egg
>>> there. I didn't find any ability to import other formats such as jpg.
>>
>> I haven't used Xara Xtreme myself (friends are talking about it),
>> but remember that it is primarily a vector drawling application. I
>> imagine that handling of encapsulated PostScript and fig files
>> should be the way to interact with other applications.
>
> One of the demo's on their web site shows it manipulating a photo. It
> was quite impressive so I wanted to give it a try. Wasn't to be. :-(

If you are talking about the first among the videos at
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/movies.html , then I am watching it at this
very moment (while writing this). You should be able to embed, import or
open any object, but use file converters as required. ImageMagick gives some
simple interfaces. The GIMP can open and save PostScript, so give it a
whirl. I am not sure Xara Xtreme can do anything that Inkscape won't handle,
but any competition as such is a healthy one. Also, I know Windows users who
are dependent on Xara, so they can finally move to Linux. Photoshop remains
a major barrier to many.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 11:55am  up 14 days  4:32,  9 users,  load average: 1.75, 1.28, 1.06