Re: Linux/FOSS vs Windows, software popularity stats, week ending 7th May 2006

  • Subject: Re: Linux/FOSS vs Windows, software popularity stats, week ending 7th May 2006
  • From: Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:39:43 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
arachnid wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:19:52 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 10 May 2006 06:16 \__

######
Windows Downloads week ending May 07 (download.com)

Rank  | Name                  | Downloads | Platform  | Purpose
1     | Spyware Doctor        | 1,033,875 | Windows   | Anti-Spyware
2     | Ad-Aware SE PE        |   925,775 | Windows   | Anti-Spyware
3     | LimeWire              |   471,548 | Windows   | Piracy
4     | ICQ 5.04              |   457,034 | Windows   | Messaging
5     | All-in-One Secretmaker|   407,802 | Windows   | Anti-Spyware
6     | BitComet              |   385,608 | Windows   | Piracy
7     | WinZip                |   352,915 | Windows   | Archiving
8     | Morpheus              |   343,931 | Windows   | Piracy
9     | Webroot Spy Sweeper   |   340,301 | Windows   | Anti-Spyware
10    | Registry Mechanic     |   300,107 | Windows   | b0rk Fixer
######

Quick analysis:

- 5 programs 'fix' the operating system in one form or another

This is why Linux will never make it on the desktop.

Operating System One requires antivirus programs ($39) , antispyware
programs ($25), registry/system fixers ($69), backup tools ($40),
archiving tools ($25)... and then there are the applications, $300 for
an office suite, $90 for an OS upgrade, $200 for a relational
database, followed by $500 worth of tech support to get Windows
working again when it chokes on all this crap ("hmmm... looks like you
need more RAM ($180) and a bigger hard drive ($150)...").  Then just
about the time the dust settles, OS One's manufacturer flips a switch,
the treadmill gives a turn, and the whole buying spree starts over
beginning with a whole new computer cuz the customer's existing one
won't run the latest version of OS One.

Whereas,  Operating System Two sells... well, maybe a book or two.

If you were Best Buy, Which OS would *you* carry?

I'd carry the one which causes /me/ the least hassle when customers bring the shit back with claims that their precious photo albums are now irretrievably lost and all because of me (a soddin' RESELLER, FCOL!), and here's me trying to get across to them that I didn't write the software, their beef is with the guys who /did/. Unfortunately, TSO are on the side of the consumer on this one, therefore I don't carry Windows at all. I don't offer support for Windows at all. I sell hardware and I sell Linux, with commercial software support where required, between the client and the SOFTWARE MAKER. Either way, the point is made clear that I DO NOT OFFER SOFTWARE SUPPORT. Hey, guess what, no more assholes tying my phone up for three hours at a time hanging on me to teach them how to use Outlook Express! I do sell a lot of hardware and get a lot of repeat business. Which can only be a good thing.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.