Re: Use OSS and Win. Stay with the Status Quo and Lose.

__/ [ rapskat ] on Friday 12 May 2006 06:19 \__

> On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:43:43 -0500, chrisv wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> | MP: What percentage of the desktops at Google are running Linux |
>>> versus Windows?
>>> |
>>> | CD: Probably way more than half. I don't know the exact ratios |
>>> though. All the developers use it and most of the engineers and |
>>> sysadmins.
>>
>> What a "surprise" that one of the most successful companies of the
>> millennium is a strong supporter and user of OSS, eh?
>
> I find it odd that if "all" of the developers use Linux that they don't
> have more native desktop offerings for the platform.  Seems only natural
> that they would develop first for the platform they themselves use and
> then port it afterwards to other platforms.

That's exactly the oddity. They accommodate the greater market share before
they  facilitate  their  own  yard (Goobuntu). That the equivalent of a CEO
getting a heart  attack at 35  because he was busting his ass day and night
for his/her employees and customers.   His/her family (=the community) will
not be pleased.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:35am  up 14 days 14:32,  9 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.38, 0.40