Re: Google Earth Coming to Linux

__/ [ Kavoorka ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 23:46 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> (He said this to me in an E-mail last year, but the interview confirms
>> this)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Mad Penguin: Google is involved with OpenOffice.org and Mozilla. What
>> | other open source project are they part of or have people working on?
>> |
>> | Chris DiBona: Well you know we've got a bunch of kernel folks, we've
>> | got folks all over Apache, we are very heavily represented in
>> | Subversion, and we've given donations to a great variety of groups and
>> | we are members of a number of others. Kinda endless right now.
>> |
>> | MP: You mentioned Google Earth is going to be ported to Linux. Is that
>> | going to be running with Winelib?
>> |
>> | CD: We said that at the end of last year. No, that's a native port.
>> | The original version uses Qt with OpenGL.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | MP: What percentage of the desktops at Google are running Linux
>> | versus Windows?
>> |
>> | CD: Probably way more than half. I don't know the exact ratios
>> | though. All the developers use it and most of the engineers and
>> | sysadmins.
>> `----
>>
>> http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/?m=show&id=6850&page=2
>
> Only a fews years late and many dollars short. I bet the world can
> hardly wait for a command line version of google earth.

Good idea, Windows boy. A command-line addon for Google Earth will increase
user's expressiveness and thereby enhance productivity, much as in the case
of travel agents. Let us chain some commands...

sequence(rotate(location(54.33,88.66),Y),zoomRange(10,100))

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:40am  up 14 days 14:37,  9 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.31, 0.35