Re: Google and Digg

  • Subject: Re: Google and Digg
  • From: wd <345@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:35:16 -1000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ wd ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 14:38 \__
>
>> Will Google eventually buy Digg?
>
> Intersting question <
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://digg.com >, but I still
> doubt it. What would Google gain for this acquisition? Search-wise, very
> little if anything at all. A community is the only thing to be won, much
> as in the Yahoo-Flickr or Yahoo-Geocities takeovers.

Or Orkut, and others.

Google wants data.

Digg has it and intelligent people trust it.  It is in the top 100 sites
on the Web.

People trust Digg enough to give out their blog passwords to Digg and post
to their blog through the Digg interface.

I'm not sure what they could do with it.  The thought just came into my
mind when I read today that they were collaborating.  Google could
probably come up with a cunning use for digg.com.  Integrate digg more
closely with Blogger?  or... provide some other tools to the users.

Google: "We will take over your computer and your server and learn
everything about you.  We are just helping you out for free because we are
buddies."