Re: Will MSN improve in popularity?

__/ [ tonnie ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 19:35 \__

> Darren Tipton wrote:
>> Given Google serious dominance over the last few years, and that IE7 is
>> likely to have MSN as the default search engine.

It is not quite the case, but it is close to being the actual case. IE7 will
not be the only built-in application to have search bars.

The US Feds have dismissed Google's complaints 1-2 days ago. I am not sure
about the European Union/Commission, which beat the Federals to it. They
also investigate the case for Adobe (static document generators).

>> How much of a dent will that make to Google market share? Will we all be
>> going optimising our sites for MSN instead in the future?

I suggest you read the following to fully comprehend _how bad_ MSN/Live.com
(or whatever they choose to call themselves tomorrow) truly is:

,----[ Quote ]
| The fight is on between the three internet search titans, after Yahoo's
| Terry Semel laid down the gauntlet to Microsoft saying the software
| giant's recently elevated ambitions in the search arena were a lost cause.
|
| "My impartial advice to Microsoft is that you have no chance. The
| search business has been formed," he said in an interview with the
| New Yorker's Ken Auletta."
`----

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/11eadcd4-e1a3-11da-bf4c-0000779e2340.html

IIRC, Semel heads that section of Yahoo and this verbal attack came after a
cocky proposal from Microsoft.

> First of all i don't think MSN will take a large part of Google just
> because it has MSN as the default. There will be a small part that will
> use MSN because it is already integrated. But the majority will still
> find their way to Google.

Sooner or later, it will become common knowledge that IE7 points to user to
irrelevant sites. It's like the need to press CTRL+ALT+Delete when something
goes awry.

> Further more, you don't optimise for just 1 search engine. You optimise
> for your visitors. If for some reason the leading search engine is going
> to loose its position, that would mean you would have to optimise your
> site completely for another one? And then for the next one, and ....

Yes. Based on the premise that they all imitate each other (similar in the
O/S market), you should make no changes to your site/s.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:05am  up 16 days 12:02,  11 users,  load average: 0.97, 0.87, 0.71