Re: Internet Explorer Share Keeps Sliding

On Sun, 14 May 2006 18:42:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 16:16 \__
>
>> On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:01:41 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
>>
>>> begin  risky.vbs
>>> <1147617746.413038.74600@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

>>> When I first subscribed to COLA I used to often add [OT] to anti-MS
>>> articles I posted. The FUD and lies spread not only by trolls but MS
>>> themselves (OSS anti-American, GPL a virus, etc) convinced me that
>>> anti-MS posts are most certainly appropriate and within the charter
>>> for COLA.
>>
>> Countering anti-Linux stuff is, yes, but posting deliberate anti-MS stuff
>> just adds fuel to the fire a lot of the time, IMO. What good does it do?
>

> Thanks,  Kier. Your opinion will definitely be taken into consideration in
> the future. I will try to balance my posts accordingly. However, /do/ bear
> in  mind  that Microsoft-centered posts are often comparisons  with  other
> operating systems. This comes to present things in perspective. Benchmarks
> are  disallowed  to  a  considerable  extent by the  EULA.  Media  is  too
> reluctant to go against the giant, as well.

I think comparison is fine, it's just too often it becomes a 'your OS is
shit' kind of matter, which I believe is in the end counter-productive.

> The real facts must be voiced /somewhere/. Back in my teenage years, I was
> at  times filled with fury over Microsoft's illegal acts. It's not time to
> retaliate. It's time to disclose some truths.

Definitely. But we should be careful not to go overboard in the opposite
direction. Moderation is much more persuasive.

> Example:  when did the media blame Windows loopholes for all that spam  we
> get?  When  were botmasters said to be taking advantage of Windows  flaws?

Rarely, which is a pity.

> Where  was it stated clearly that Linux TCO is very low? Definitely not is
> a  Google  searches  for  'linux', which Microsoft have  bought.  The  O/S
> industry is in a very morbid state if Windows evangelist openly admit that
> Mac OS X is better and yet very few people use it.

Yes.

>>> The [News] subject tag was added by Roy when another poster said he
>>> didn't want to see these posts but wanted to see other posts made by
>>> Roy. The majority of the threads started by Roy are News. Of course he
>>> can change the tag to anything he wants but there'll allways be
>>> someone who objects. Your criticism is extremely petty.
>>
>> Frankly, not really. It's an observation which I share to some extent.
>> Shouldn't we be posting good news about Linux? Who cares about MS? Fuck
>> 'em, that's what I say.
>

> It  may  sound  simple, but people are innately resistant to  change.  You
> must  open  their eyes to damage that is done to them at present in  order
> for  enlightenment  and  research  to begin. Many  people  will  not  even
> *explore*  Linux until they have become fed up with Windows and found some
> consent/condolences.  A  Google  search pointing to COLA may  assist  that
> crucial turning point.

Which I don't dispute, but don't you think a lot of anti-MS stuff may put
them off? If Windows users are called idiots, what kind of impression do
you think they'll get from it? It can't do much to encourage a Windowsuser
to swap to Linux.

>> There are times when something which is anti-MS is appropriate, but
>> mostly, it's just irrelevant.
>

> Oh, yeah? See sig. *smile*

:-)

--